Our YouTube channel has become the main hub for our learning center with all our recent videos. Local TV shows, videos of parades, special events…it all here!
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions about our videos, commercials, or articles.
ASK THE BASEMENT DOCTOR AKRON
OUR LEARNING CENTER FEATURES ANSWERS TO FREQUENT BASEMENT WATERPROOFING, CRAWL SPACE VAPOR BARRIER, FOUNDATION REPAIR, AND MOLD REMOVAL QUESTIONS.
- Q: Why does my basement leak?
- A: Water builds up around the foundation of your home before seeping through the walls and floor. The breakdown of drain tiles on the exterior of your home is the leading cause of water in your basement. Furthermore, the drain tiles become clogged and break down due to poor installation or soil settling.
- Q: Why is there a musty smell in my basement?
- A: The odor is caused by dampness and high humidity. Mold thrives in a damp basement environment. Furthermore, a moldy smell results in increased respiratory infections, asthma, and allergies.
- Q: Why are my walls stained?
- A: Stains are evidence of dampness or acidic residue. Acidic residue, also known as efflorescence, is a result of water buildup. Acidic residue builds on the exterior of the basement wall, then travels through the block, leaving a visible stain.
- Q: Can I do anything on my own to correct acidic residue?
- A: You can clean your gutters as well as regrade your soil away from the foundation of the home. If this doesn’t correct the problem, please call The Basement Doctor Akron.
- Q: Someone told us that they would do exterior waterproofing in order to prevent the water from reaching the basement. Is this a good idea?
- A: Exterior waterproofing is often unnecessary and more costly. Pipes that are placed in the ground around the home become clogged and cracked. Why? Because they are still exposed to the original conditions, which caused the water to enter your basement. Soil settling is inevitable, and any pipes or tile installed in this environment will clog and break.
- Q: What type of warranty do you have?
- A: Waterproofing is warranted for the life of the home and is a transferable warranty. Foundation work depends on the type of work we do. At absolutely no additional charge, we offer the best warranties in the industry. At The Basement Doctor Akron, we believe the peace of mind you gain from our work should be free.
- Q: Will this type of work increase the value of my home?
- A: Definitely! Home repair enhances the value of your home. Additionally, the improvements we make will cost less than the increased value your home will receive.